- What Is Concordia Historical Institute?
- Historical Items of Interest
- How to Contact Us
- How to Find Us
Concordia Historical Institute is the Department of Archives and History of The Lutheran Church�Missouri Synod. From its beginning in 1847, the Synod has provided for its archives, first entrusting the responsibility for maintaining the churchʼs records to the synodical secretary. In 1927 the Institute was incorporated by interested individuals in the church to provide for the preservation of its records. In 1959 the Synod designated the Institute as its official repository.
The Instituteʼs facilities, located on the campus of Concordia Seminary in Saint Louis, Missouri, include a reference room for patrons, a conference room, a museum exhibit area and three stack areas for storage of its collections. The stack areas are maintained at a constant temperature and humidity to preserve the resources.
The materials stored at the Institute include records of synodical officers, boards, commissions, committees and other entities, as well as personal papers of church leaders, seminary professors, pastors, teachers, laypersons and missionaries. The Instituteʼs reference library contains books, periodicals, parish histories, pamphlets, tracts and other publications relating to the history of Lutheranism in North America and its European antecedents. Museum artifacts, audiovisual resources and photographs round out the holdings. A considerable amount of resources are available on microfilm.
The Institute also maintains two historic sites in Perry County, Missouri, publishes the Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, and assists districts and congregations of the Synod in preserving their historical records.
- A Brief History of Concordia Historical Institute
- An Explanation of Concordia Historical Institute's Seal
- The Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of Concordia Historical Institute
- Mailing Address: 804 Seminary Place, St. Louis MO 63105-3014
- Phone Number: (314) 505-7900
- Executive Director, Larry Lumpe (314) 505-7911
- Associate Director for Archives & Library, Rev. Marvin Huggins (314) 505-7921
- Assistant Archivist, Rev. Todd Zittlow (314) 505-7923
- Executive Assistant and Museum Manager, Patrice Russo (314) 505-7945
- Business Manager, Elizabeth Richards (314) 505-7940
- Administrative Assistant - Membership Manager, Marie Roth (314) 505-7900
- Receptionist (314) 505-7900
- Reference Department, reference @ lutheranhistory.org, (314) 505-7935
- Fax Number: (314) 505-7901
- E-Mail: chi @ lutheranhistory.org
- WebSite: http://lutheranhistory.org
Click here or on the MapQuest logo below to go to a MapQuest Interactive Map for CHI. MapQuest can also give you driving instructions to CHI.
Planning a trip to St. Louis? Visit "Explore St. Louis," The Official Travel Portal of St. Louis, Missouri.
The hotel nearest Concordia Historical Institute that might be considered for lodging for a research trip or other extended stay is:
6300 Clayton Road
Richmond Heights, MO 63117
Copyright © 2013 Concordia Historical Institute
804 Seminary Pl.
Saint Louis MO 63105-3014
Department of Archives and History of
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
Last updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012